Monday, February 2, 2015

Cake Eater Problems


I’m going to spare you the details, but last week was a little on the long and emotionally and mentally taxing side for me.  All you really need to know is that come Friday at 5pm, my little family headed out to dinner and I was very ready to just sit at a restaurant and be served while the four of us would sit and utilize our mobile devices to play games and catch up on social media and ignore one another enjoy meaningful conversation about the highs and lows of our week.  


And, it went that way for a time.  Then Jerod asked me if I’d received the email about a baseball team trip to Cooperstown to play in a tournament this summer.  Well, no, as a matter of fact I hadn’t.  Jerod then proceeds to freak out a little bit because there’s a meeting pertaining to Cooperstown THAT VERY NIGHT.  I immediately begin scanning my phone to see if I’ve missed an email.  Husband then assumes there must’ve been a glitch with Jerod’s baseball registration, causing him to be left out.  I text a couple of baseball mommas and find out two different dads are putting together teams, which have essentially been cherry picked by these two dads; and the whole thing has no official affiliation with the hometown baseball association.  Jerod was not one of the cherry picked kiddos.  At this point, food is arriving at the table and tears are welling up in his eyes.  


Well hell.  There goes my relaxing dinner.  


I like sports.  Scratch that.  I freakin’ love sports.  When I’m not at my kids’ games, I’m typically at home watching sports on the tee vee.  I also love watching my kids play sports and be parts of things (teams) bigger than themselves.  Holy hot hannah, though, I am rapidly running out of patience for the associations and parents involved with organizing kid sports.  


Both dads forming these Cooperstown teams sit on the board of the Edina Baseball Association.  And all of the kids they’re picking have come through Edina Baseball Association.  Yet these teams are said to have no affiliation with EBA.  So, you can sit on the association board and pick players from the association.  Edina must be proud of these cake eaters.  Having their cake (sitting on the board and carrying the responsibilities that come with it) and eating it too (plucking kids from the association for a team that isn’t part of the association).  

Way to keep it classy, fellas.  I feel like they should at least be required to pay for my damn dinner.

1 comment:

MomQueenBee said...

I haven't had kids in sports for 10 years and I would still gladly Tonya Harding those "coaches" for you. My eyes welled up, too.