Thursday, July 10, 2008

Overnight at Camp Can of Tuna

I just dropped off Jerod and his pal Porter for day four at Camp Tanadoona (also referred to as Can of Tuna). Bonus activity is that they're staying overnight. I'm a little ambivalent about this. Chris and I have been away from our kids a fair amount, but they've always been with a grandparent or at a sleep over with a friend. We won't have any contact with him until 4:00 tomorrow when we pick him up. So, this is uncharted territory for us. I guess we're all growing up :)

On Monday when I dropped them off, Elise threw a complete fit because she wanted to stay. I basically had to force her into her carseat. She eventually calmed down (a piece of chewing gum tends to make everything ok for her). We then talked about how she could go when she turns five. This morning as I was getting her out of the car I said, "Elise, remember, no fits today." She replied with, "I go when I'm five."

When we returned to the car and she realized she was nearly buckled into the seat, she started fussing. "When you're five," I said. She calmed down immediately and said, "Maybe later, I go when I'm five."

This is a big deal for my historically super volatile daughter. It was nice to see her start to lose it, then reel herself back in and cool down.

No comments: