Thursday, January 17, 2008

Talking up a Storm





After chatting with Elise's pediatrician at her three year checkup, we decided to err on the side caution and have a speech evaluation done. We were still having a fair amount of trouble deciphering what she was saying and she seemed to be pretty frustrated about life in general. We were pretty certain there wasn't a real issue, but the evaluation is free and I just wanted to make sure her language and speech were headed in the right direction.

I took her for part one of a two part evaluation right before Christmas and we went for part two today. Elise happily went off with the speech language pathologist, Pam, for about 45 minutes while Jerod and I hung out in the waiting room and read. When they came back, Pam asked me if Elise seemed like a completely different kid than she was a month ago. My answer was a resounding yes and Pam agreed. I'm happy to report that we've had a real language explosion since the new year. I don't think anyone is happier about that than Miss Elise herself. She really is talking up a storm and just seems SO MUCH MORE pleasant. Not that she wasn't fabulous to begin with, but the decreased number and severity of meltdowns has been a nice change of pace. Despite anything I'm writing here, however, her will is still by far the strongest in the household!!!!!

The other nice development of 2008 is that Elise is pretty much potty training herself. We've got quite a bit of work to do before we can ditch the pull-ups altogether, but she has been dry all this week. As long as she can wear boy underwear with characters from the movie 'Cars' or batman or transformers, she's a happy camper. Good thing she doesn't have a girly mom! Speaking of which, here's more pictures in the infamous batman jammies. They're going to be worn to threads soon :)

1 comment:

Danielle said...

That's so great to hear! When she's sixten I'm sure she'll love to be reminded about her choice of undies. I know my boys will love to hear about how they used to BEG me to paint their toe nails.