Saturday, April 24, 2010

Prom boots and a weekly letter

Editorial Note: This letter contains language that any respectable adult would have edited before posting on a blog, but I don't feel like it. It does contain some adult language. You've been warned.

4/24/10

Hola!

No beautiful Saturday today. It is nasty and rainy. Chris and I are grateful to not be running today. We ran eight miles yesterday in the Bush Lake/Hyland area. Things spotted on the run included, but were not limited to: a flock of wild turkeys (one right in our path… I now know what it feels like to be scared of a turkey), a condom on the road, and a baby turtle (that I’m fairly certain was dead). Such is running in the Twin Cities, I guess!

The Twins have continued to steam roll everyone in their path… beat the Royals something like 8-3 last night. Pretty crazy stuff. We are counting the days until we can get to another game. The seats were great… closer than I’ve ever been to any sporting event. The line to the women’s restroom was, sadly, still excessively long! Chris was stoked because you can get a kids meal with a hot dog, chips, and a drink for $5. Always the bargain shopper, he is. I have to say, however, the hot dog was pretty much a ‘you get what you pay for’ experience. Jerod was not really a fan. I couldn’t help but think of the Dan Aykroyd description in ‘The Great Outdoors’ … lips and assholes! I’ve been posting these letters to the blog since they tend to tell everything that we’ve had going on. I think this one may require some heavy editing. Somehow lips and assholes and condom on the road don’t seem real appropriate.

The kids had a very ordinary week. We’re all ready for summer and soccer and baseball. Right now, however, activities are pretty much at a standstill.

A few weeks ago, Chris had a scheduling snafu and ended up with a couple extra hours to kill in uptown. So, off to the Walker he went. We ended up with a membership, and the guy is now smitten with modern art. It kind of cracks me up, because in my mind, he’s always been pretty skeptical about such art! At any rate, the kids really enjoyed the sculpture garden.

Tomorrow’s my dad’s last Sunday at his two little churches, and I believe the movers come on Wednesday. I see some heavy lifting in our near future!

Oh… I was just sitting here trying to think what excitement the past week held, and I nearly forgot the “best” part! On Thursday (while Chris was whooping it up at Happy Hour), Jerod was tossing a ball around on the patio, and the inevitable finally happened. He left a baseball sized hole in the glass on our storm door. I happened to be sitting at the dining room table and was able to see his reaction. Pretty priceless, really. I don’t know how much a kid’s expression can really say, but to me, his clearly said, “Holy Hannah, they were right when they told me not to hit the glass, and I just did it, and my mom’s gonna go postal.” Needless to say, he was pretty remorseful. He and Chris took it to Jerry’s last night, so the repair is in process.

Here’s some more useless info. for ya: my neice Joelle (who went to New England with us), went to prom last weekend. Just straight up craziness, if you ask me, that she can be old enough for such nonsense. In typical Jo fashion, she wore boots with her prom dress (I just inserted a picture up top). If my baby niece really must be a teenager, I’m grateful she’s one that’s true to her own self and a truly unique individual!



No comments: